** UPDATE: please get in touch if you're a caring person experienced with childcare of 3 year olds! **
G'day & welcome to our small Regenerative farm, an easy 15 minute drive from Margaret River town.
Our happy family includes 3 kids (14, 11 & 3), a mellow dog, a couple of noisy sheep & pet poultry. We lead a busy but simple life along permaculture principles & enjoy the serenity of our stunning sunsets, evening frog chorus & great star-gazing.
Our life/work/home/farm is all the same thing to us & our aim is to revive healthy connections between country, animals & community. Our award-winning organic farm has open-range pasture raised hens for eggs & high-welfare beef cattle that are moved to new grass daily using Holistic Management methods. We also run educational workshops in sustainability & biological farming. You`re welcome to check out www.mrorganicfarmer.com or 'Margaret River Organic Farmer' on Instagram / Facebook to see more about us.
Ideally you`ll have your own car to have the freedom to explore & make the most of your experience (*see end page for tips on buying a car)! Reasons we love living here include clean beaches, tranquil rivers, majestic forests, awesome surf, walking tracks, mountain bike trails, incredible caves & of course the world-class wineries, breweries & restaurants on our doorstep. And we will gladly introduce you to our fabulous vibrant local community with a variety of art, wellness & music happenings.
We welcome open-minded, enthusiastic & healthy non-smokers to our drug-free farm & we offer helpers:
* comfortable private double room in worker's cottage. You will share kitchen & bathroom facilities with occasional farm visitors & workers during the day & in the evenings you have the cottage to yourselves.
* simple wholefood meals on a self-catering & shared basis. You can expect an ethically sourced mixed diet. Please note our farm will not suit vegans or Coeliacs as we eat a lot of organic animal proteins & organic sourdough bread!
* knowledge exchange - we are happy to share our learnings & experience with you & where practical, will include you in any workshops we are running at the time of your stay.
* our farm is lucky to have full Telstra mobile signal so you can buy pay-as-you-go mobile WIFI data for your own phone & internet (we use Boost mobile).
* if you don't have a car, we'll help you with lifts where possible, but please understand we do not have time to be a taxi service! There are other families living on our farm though, so there's often someone going into town which is 17km away.
* initial stay 1 week, longer stays negotiable.
What we ask in return:
* 4 hours work each day you stay. We can often be flexible on time of work if you`d like whole days off.
* For your own safety, a good understanding of English is important but we're here to help you practice & improve your language skills.
Building, farming, artistic or childcare skills are very much appreciated. Activities vary according to your abilities & the season. Projects could include: construction, landscaping, tree planting, organic vegetable gardening, animal feeding, egg collecting, compost making, re-vegetation of creek, general farm maintenance, chopping wood, seed collecting, painting, having fun playing with our toddler, evening babysitting, harvesting / processing / cooking food (including meat if you're interested), making ferments, sewing, house cleaning or maintenance.
We have both spent many years travelling the world & we enjoy connecting with different cultures. Laura has also spent a couple of years as a WWOOF volunteer so can appreciate the experience from your point of view! And Lawson has years of experience as a Couch Surfing & WWOOF farm host.
Here`s what our helper Andrea from Germany said about us in 2017: `I`ve stayed with Laura, Lawson and their marvellous two kids (back then it were just two) for about 8 weeks. I had such an amazing time. I`ve found a side of myself that I haven`t explored yet on that little family farm business. If you are interested in organic and healthy lifestyle, this is the right place to be for you. Explore new interests, overstep some of your own borders even though you didn`t know they existed until you reach them.
I always felt welcome and like a part of the family. The food is amazing, I got to cook for the family too, which really was fun (little tip: Lawson will be thankful forever if you make a good lasagna)
The work I had to do was diversified and adventurous. Here some examples: Delivering Eggs all along the coast, collecting eggs in the Chucktruck, bottlefeeding the little baby calf, Preparing the babys room, picking up the kids from school, building a creative wood herbshelf, building shelters for the chicks and their food, preparing food for the chicks and feeding them.
Beyond the responsibilities on the farm of course I had time for myself if i wanted. Easily got some days off. I slept in the caravan, which was really nice and gave me the space and privacy I needed.
I`m really thankful for the time and the experiences Laura and Lawson gave me and hope that I`ll able to visit in the distant future.
So donít wait to text them, you will miss something great!
We look forward to hearing from you, please ask us any questions... & in the meantime we wish you happy travels!
One final note (congratulations on reading this far!)... we enjoy hosting reliable people. Unfortunately we've had several HelpXers say they're coming but then not arrive. Please be aware that if you make a booking with us, our family will have made plans for your stay. So if you don't come, everyone loses an opportunity (including other helpers)! We believe good communication is the key to all happy human relationships, so please keep us updated. Thanks for your understanding.
* Tips for buying a car: there are LOTS more options in Perth than in Margaret River. Check out https://dogandlemon.com/get-reviews for your chosen vehicles & we recommend an independent mechanic inspection via RAC WA before buying so you don't get any nasty surprises https://rac.com.au/car-motoring/car-servicing-and-repair/vehicle-inspections