All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 10
Host ID: 85636
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: July 8, 2020
Goal: to eventually create a beautiful small autonomous community where we can be self sustaining, look after animals, listen and play music, hold holistic events/retreats, be at one with nature. LIVE LIFE
Based in the Centro region of Portugal near the city of Castelo Branco, in the forest wilderness between two small villages.
We have a 10 hectare piece of land with a river crossing and a couple of hectares of eucalyptus and pine forest, some meadows and other gems hidden away.
we are in a very are remote location about 10 minutes drive from a main road.
If you like to be in the heart of nature this is a wonderful place to be.
There are wild boar, hares, terrapins, otter, frogs, lots of flowers, birds and insects around.
In the summer it gets really hot and dry, sometimes hitting 40 - the most temperate times are spring and autumn, winter is fair in the day time - however when the sun goes down not so much.
Nothing a couple of logs on the fire /a warm sleeping bag cant fix. the land has a plethora of raw building materials
There is a lot of work to do to turn it into a working homestead move towards an Ashram style community space.
The main goals for this stage is:
-clearing Estava - which is a fire hazard,
-planting seeds and plants - making and digging beds. digging swales, managing irrigation, pushing permaculture. the ground is hard in summer, easier in autumn/winter but still do able in the early hours
-building a cabin for 24/7/365 living
-fixing up the kitchen area
-making paths around the property
-collecting and storing firewood for winter and autumn
We are looking for volunteers for the coming months and also good people over Winter, preferably - for your comfort, those with vans/rv.
There is a lot of work to and also a lot of future plans once these basic things are in place.
- we ask for 4 hours a day time and energy contribution - 5 days a week, weekends are free.
- accommodation is provided in the form of tents, you are welcome to pull up your camper van and find a spot also.
- 4m bell tents can be arranged at 10eu /night if you want a bit more comfort. (2 friends could comfortably sleep there)
- the rest of the day you can go for walks, swimming in nearby reservoir/watering holes/read/write/draw/make stuff/play music/sleep/relax/whatever you feel - if you are a yoga teacher or have some skill you can share, we invite you to do so.
- you can pick up 4g on your phone in most places - recommend to get a portuguese or euro simcard.
- we ask for 30-50 euros contribution a week - depending on your budget. every little helps, if you are really broke but great in a skill or just want to be here we can work something out. This is for fuel/food/repairs/materials/drop offs and pick ups/general running of the place.
- lunch and dinner are prepared for the group, breakfast will be laid out by whoever is up first and people can help themselves.
- please be tidy - keeping your stuff in your tent/van/caravan. washing your own plates and dishes is great after eating, etc.
- we are looking for people who are hard working and able to finish tasks, like problem solving, & also appreciate relaxation and being in a remote natural environment, right now we are looking for those who have skills in building, gardening, engineering, are able to get on and do their tasks, enthusiastic, able to self manage and work as a team on the many different projects on site.
SOME IMPORTANT THINGS
- We are vegan and don't cook meat/fish at our home. open to fresh eggs at times depending on who is there :)
- Please respect this, we really love animals! You are welcome to eat out if you need to sometimes.
- we are a clean living space, not the right place for boozing/partying - we want it to be a safe space for all people.
- minimum 2 weeks commitment required.
- we appreciate and utilise open communication, if we have an issue or solution, we will tell you and ask you to do the same.
- We have a weekly sharing circle when there are a lot of us here, so feedback for the week can be given by all.
- we try to use everything we have at least once - recycle and upcycling. learning on the go.
- Portugal is a high fire risk so no fires of any kind are allowed from May-Oct and being aware of our surroundings is paramount :)
- if driving to us (which is better as you can use your car to get around) someone will meet you at a checkpoint on a local road & take you to Bohemia.
- if you are getting a train or coach a pick from Castelo Branco can be arranged - please plan to arrive when the light is up or stay in town (Lisbon/Castelo) until the next morning :)
I hope this information is helpful and we attract the right tribe to our space.