Castelo de Vide
All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 16
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 91243
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: September 16, 2020
First off: Our farm will only take volunteers again from the beginning of November!
Hi there! We are a small family (Portuguese father, South Tyrolean mum, 5-year-old son), running a 16-hectare, certified organic farm in the Northern Alentejo, close to the beautiful historic town of Castelo de Vide.
We grow fruit and vegetables on our organically certified farm, we started a dried fruit business recently (still very small) and made our own olive oil for the first time in 2019 (150 l of olive oil; not bad for a start!)! We also have two small holiday houses that we rent out. This year, we are also starting a sheep wool project - felting and weaving raw sheep fleece. We are still in the preparatory phase of this, but anyone with skills in this area is highly welcome!!
On the farm we need help in all areas of farm life. This can be fruit picking, fruit drying, canning, gardening, light construction/DIY work, etc. We ask our volunteers to spend some time each day playing with our son, as he loves meeting new people. Our son speaks German, Portuguese, and a little English.
- A beautiful, certified organic farm with some wild terrain
- A fountain to splash about in the summer
- A friendly, well-travelled family
- Two bicyles that you can use
- Largely self-directed farm work
- Proximity to some of the most scenic castle towns in Portugal
- Starry skies and abundant wildlife
- A vibrant alternative community in Castelo de Vide and neighbouring towns.
We welcome volunteers with any type of skill set and from any nationality - but you must love kids and enjoy spending time with them. We prefer wwoofers over the age of 25. We try to offer our volunteers a variety of different farm work tasks. We like sharing our knowledge and also love learning from our volunteers!
We also welcome families. For our son it's great if there are kids similar in age. For kids beyond the exclusive breastfeeding phase we ask for a small financial contribution (as little or as much as you can afford).
Our volunteer accommodation comprises two connected rooms (3 beds in total) with a bathroom. In summer we also set up tents for volunteers. We like to integrate our volunteers into our family - we cook and eat together, and we also clean up after meals together - in our house the person who cooks never has to do the dishes!!
Some volunteer activities for autumn:
- Preparing beds for winter planting (making beds, mulching, weeding)
- Sowing and planting
- Olive picking: this is the main activity for most of November and December!
- Clearing overgrown areas
- Playing with our five-year-old son (very important!!)
- General farm maintenance work (clearing brambles, repairing fences, DIY work, etc.)
- Freezer cooking
- Wool skirting and washing
We are looking forward to hearing from you!