All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 1
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 91341
Region: BC, South Eastern
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: April 10, 2019
Hi there! We're the proud co-owners of a small-scale urban farm based in Vancouver.
We operate a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm in its third season of growing. We produce mixed vegetables for our 60 person CSA membership, a weekly market, and select wholesale customers. This summer, we have also partnered with a community center to support their local programs with our produce.
Our farmland is located in Richmond, BC, and our home is located on the outskirts of Vancouver. We consider ourselves an urban farm, and think that this offers a unique opportunity to experience both the joys of farm life and the vibrancy of a beautiful city like Vancouver.
What we expect from you:
- 4, 8 hour work days / week, this will be at our farm in Richmond, our home site in Vancouver, or our produce pick-up location in Vancouver. Work will be done with co-owners, our part-time employee, and volunteers.
- Tasks include:
- Garden prep
- Harvesting / Processing
- Crop maintenance
- Building projects
- Helping with produce distribution
- We start early in the day. Small-scale vegetable farming is very physically demanding work, often in challenging and uncomfortable weather conditions. You will need to be prepared for this and come with appropriate clothing, footwear, and attitude.
- You are expected to be a respectful member of our household, which currently includes ourselves, one other roommate, and our cat Betty. You should of course be able to cook your own meals and clean up after yourself around the house.
- We are a house of queer people, so you should value diversity in people.
What you can expect from us:
- Challenging, meaningful work in sustainable food production.
- Meals provided on the days that you work. Unlimited produce.
- Your very own room in our house (with a door!), use of our kitchen and living space.
- Respectful hosts that value your contributions to our farm.
We are seeking applicants with a MINIMUM availability of two weeks starting April 1, with a strong preference for applicants with experience in agriculture or physical/outside work. Please send us some information about yourself and how this opportunity would be a good fit for you. To ensure that you've taken the time to read this thoroughly, please include the name of our cat in your response.
Looking forward to hearing from you.