All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 13.3526
Persons: 1 or 2
Host ID: 9197
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: September 21, 2019
This host offers full season Intern/Volunteer opportunities.
We have a year long live in Dog Trainer Apprentice Intern position available at present.
Along with the dog training, we operate a nonprofit service dog training facility.
We also offer a year long live in Boarding Kennel Management Apprentice Intern position. Value of this program, conservatively $50,000.
Located in the beautiful Southern Appalachian Mountain range of East Tennessee. Quite close to Appalachian Trail! Our farm has been in the same family since 1809.
We grow hay, market garden, corn, cattle, and chickens.
Minimum length of stay is 3 months.
For your off time plans, please check our calendar on the website, and look at our "Area Attractions" page, with live links. I try to keep up with great things going on in our area so you can plan your days off.
All farming activities, plus light construction and restoration. We are very involved in our community with all things farming and our local farmers market and tourism. So a stay with us can be quite an experience in learning for you. We also want you to have a wonderful time and give you a great experience while you are here.
Current New Plans:
*Creating walking paths through our woods for dog walking trails.
*Assisting with our local Farmers Market during summer & fall months, we will be selling at the market this year.
We are always loaded with lists of things to get done, and somewhere in there the haying has to happen, usually twice each summer.
*We are also a full scale animal boarding facility operation. We board, rescue and also train service dogs here. Work in the kennels will be required, approximately 2 hours a day.
*Assist with dog training, approximately 2 hours a day.
*Other as required, approximately 2 hours a day.
You will be learning dog training, handling, care, and the kennel business from the ground up. If you don't like dogs, please don't waste our time, because you will be required to leave.
*Dogs welcome, BUT if they are not on total verbal control and any disruption occurs, the dogs will be kenneled when you are not on your down time. We have livestock, chickens and our own dogs. They live here and have priorities.
**Be clean, willing to work, non-smoking, non-drinking, no drugs! Absolutely NO SMOKING on our property, we love our National Forest the way it is.
We have an absolute NO TOLERANCE policy for drugs, alcohol and smoking. Smoking because we are in the mountains, and mountain fire is always a worry.
Again, we are a year round volunteer opportunity.
* Bedroom in kennel office.
* Cable TV at the kennel.
* HS Internet at the training center.
* No phone privileges.
* No children or pets, unless you have been invited specifically with them. We need your assistance for up to 32 hours per week for every week you are here.
* No personal cell phone use while working.
* We will run your identification for any illegal activity. A Full background check will be run on you, so if thee is anything we probably don't want to deal with, know that it will show up on our reports.
* We also require at least one phone conversation prior to acceptance of your visit.
* Before you arrive you will provide us with a full face photograph of yourself, and a copy of your drivers license.
* When you arrive, you will also provide us with two forms of photo identification.
* If we accept you as a single person, do not show up with anyone in tow, or any uninvited pets or children.
* If we accept your visit as a pair, do not show up with additional persons, or any uninvited pets or children.
First week is a trial- however, we can terminate at anytime, and so can you.
FUN THINGS AVAILABLE AROUND US!
VACATION IN THE APPALACHIANS!
Nearby sites, we are in the vacationing mecca of America, just 45 minutes from
* Bristol Motor Speedway
* Asheville, NC.
* Appalachian Trail hiking
* White Water Rafting
* Mountain Bike Trails
* Motorcycle Trails
* Horseback riding
* Hot Springs Mineral Spa
* Greene Mountain Trail
* Viking Mountain
* Greeneville Reds Minor League Baseball
* Home of the 17th President Andrew Johnson
* Andrew Jackson National Historic Site
* Dickson-Williams Mansion A House Divided
* Andrew Johnson Homestead
* Historic Downtown Greeneville
* The Big Spring
* Sgt Elbert L. Kinser
* Old Harmony Graveyard
* Valentine Sevier Home
* Harmony House
* Benjamin Lundy
* Nathanael Greene Museum
* Samuel Doak House Museum
* Capital of State of Franklin
* Greeneville Union Convention
* The Death of Gen. John Hunt Morgan of Morgan's Raiders
* Andrew Johnson Golf Club
* Nolichucky View Golf Club
* Willows Golf Course & Driving Range
* Kinser Park Golf Course
* Link Hills Country Club
* Shady Springs Par-3 Golf Course
* River Trace Golf Course
DRIVE TO STUFF:
20 min from Hot Springs, NC
1.5 hours from Knoxville, TN.
4 hours from Charlotte, NC
4 hours from Nashville, TN
5 hours from Atlanta, GA