This is Mats (45, living in North Sweden, Kiruna, with my wife and kid).
We built a village along the river Torne where we run and work with Tours & Acommodation for people visiting Lapland. Me and my family live close by, so I am regularly visiting "the camp".
Nowadays, the village is daily run by other workers such as the Camp Manager or our Wilderness guides.
A few years ago I bought this land in Kurravaara. Is located 1h and 30' min from Abisko, and 2h 30' to Narvik (the border with Norway).
Its a fantastic location, sorrouned by the forest along the river; very quiet and green and perfect to watch out for northern lights or midnight sun.
The location is 10 minutes by car or bus to Kiruna. The nature here is just amazing: the river, the forest, the midnight sun, the fauna. The area is great for hiking and wandering around for photography or watching wildlife.
We are a very easy going, international team, friendly and open to new cultures, and we'd love to host people from all around the globe.
Right now, we need help with:
- Driving guest transfer to/from town (driving licence required)
- Decorating the wood-cabins with recycle materials (creativity is very welcome). This includes sanding, painting, re-placing furniture and fixing walls.
- Cleaning the cabins after check-out/check-in.
- Serving (and cooking) dinner and breakfast.
- Transporting guest on snowmobile uphill (as our 3 SkyNest are on top of a hill). Again, driving licence is a must.
- Shopping food for the camp.
- General cleaning around the site.
- Choping wood and preparing sauna for guests.
We are looking forward to have preferrably people with the following profile:
- open minded people who love to work in hospitality (Men and Women)
- good spoken English is necessary as is a driving licence
- patience is needed at the camp as there is always something unexpected happening
- You'll work no more than 8h per day / 2 days off a week so you have plenty of time to roam around. And we can organize your working hours the best they suit you. It is possible to go away a couple of days and come back
- We'll provide for food and accommodation in a single/shared cabin.You cook yourself
- There is also a car (Kiruna)for guest transfers and errants, but not for travelling, we can take you to the train/bus station anytime.
- You can join our tours for free, hike around, use the sauna or hot tub (to be finished, thats also a job) watch the Fauna(moose, reindeers, birds, foxes, and wild rabbits)
- You'll have 2 days off, to visit all the parks around (Abisko, Jukkasjärvi (where the Icehotel is located) the Sami Camp (feed the reindeers and experience their life and culture), Nikkaluokta, etc...
- We'll teach you how to fish, start a fire, cook food and coffee on open fire and lot of things about wilderness.
So if you think this will suit you and you are willing to commit at least to stay 3 weeks, you are welcome to apply so maybe see you soon :)
*UPDATE CORONA VIRUS: Due to the current situation we don´t have enough work to host as we also have no guests here. Whenever the snow is gone and we need help at the camp again I will update this!