All Year: May to December
Area (ha): 4
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 93547
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: July 27, 2020
We are Andi (37), Rita (40), and Matilde (12), and we have a beautiful piece of land 14 km south of Idanha-Nova, Castelo Branco district, Portugal. One of the wildest areas of this amazing country.
We want to transform our farm in a place were the wildlife and nature are totally preserved, create sustainable structures for a natural living and open the space in future for guests and visitors to enjoy the silence and pleasures of this beautiful place.
The first project we have is a construction of an Earthship. This type of natural building is based on tires filled with packed earth, using glass bottles in the walls, with the combination of other recycled materials. There are around 100 tires left to fill, to finish the 1st phase, then the roof have to come up, so after we can focus on the interior walls, electricity and water installation.
We are looking for people to help us with the building. We give preference to who may have already experience in this type of construction.
The place is very remote and semi-isolated so this is for the adventurers out there, who want to pass some time in deep nature, but know how to respect it as a whole.
On a day to day base, we generally work in the mornings, giving all of us free time to enjoy the rest of the day or take care of other stuff. We look for people that can fully commit to the working time, 5hrs/day - 5 days/week, and the rest of the time we want that people have their own freedom.
There will be oportunity for relaxing and exploring the countryside and mountains, national parks are not far away and make great hiking breaks. We have also 2 big lakes around, 20min driving away from the land. We are also very close to the highest mountain in Portugal, Serra da Estrela.
- Breakfast and lunch: we prepare from Monday to Friday
- Dinner: can be prepared together as a group- A place to camp in our actual farm (not the place of work, but also a beautiful farm very close by
- you can count with a camp place beneath the stars with nearly no light polution!)
- Tent with confortable beding
- Use of the family kitchen
- Free internet access
- Transportation from the main city to our place on arrival, departure and once a week (there is a daily local bus)
- A good experience in a beautiful space, beautiful landscapes and a good vibe!
We can't offer:
- Cooking on weekends: everyone must take care of their own selves
- Rooms in the house (the sleeping is in camping mode, we have the house full)
- Transport in any time or day to the village: we will arrange it once a week, but we cant be available to transport you on a daily base
We look for people with the following profile:
- Friendly and Positive attitude
- Passionate about nature and ready to live an experience of working and living among nature
- Previous experience in Natural Building, if in Earthships construction, better
- English speaking
We will not be able to say yes to:
- Dogs or any animals (we love them, and we have already 4dogs, 2 cats- we can´t have more that the actual resident tribe!)
- Party all the time people: we enjoy a beer in the end of the day, a glass of wine here and there, good music, but if you come with the intention of getting high and crazy all the time, this is not the place for you :)
- Any drugs in the place
- Washing dishes and kitchen cleaning at night is a task of all
- The bathroom/toilet available in the accommodation is a shared space with the family house. You must extra-care about the cleaning.
- As we will be sharing our private spaces with you, we ask for the total respect for the space, people and animals of the farm.
- Sleeping periods and silence must be respected- If you smoke, make sure you don't throw any cig leftovers anywhere apart of the ashtray
- Any kind of fire or outside cooking is NOT allowed. Fire risk in the area is huge.
If you want to help us in this mission you are very welcome!
Thanks for looking on our profile and hope to hear from you soon!
Rita, Andi and Matilde