All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 1.4
Host ID: 94054
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: August 9, 2019
Hi, we are Eve and Genny – mother and daughter –who moved from Canada to central Portugal about 18 months ago.
There is just over one hectare, comprising of oaks, olives, and pines. We have two houses, one is our main house and the other is a guest house. We have several fruit and olive trees, and a vegetable garden—all of which sits on a beautiful slope overlooking a spectacular view of the area’s rolling hills.
We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 chickens.
We’re looking for an able-bodied person, or couple, to help us take care of our garden and land. The garden needs to be updated, and irrigation installed. We have several trees that were burnt in the recent wildfire that need to be chopped down and logs split for firewood.
There are 2 ruins on the property that we would like to renovate as well.
We are located almost in the geodesic centre of the country, 3km outside the small village of Cardigos, 20 minutes from the larger town of Sertã, 45 mins from Castelo Branco, and 1.5 hrs from the coast (Atlantic) and 2 hours from Lisbon.
What We Need:
• 3–4 hours of dedicated work on the property 5 days a week
• Help caring for the animals
* Feeding twice a day
* Collecting eggs, cleaning out the hen house occasionally, ensuring chickens have sufficient clean water
* Taking dogs (and sometimes cats!) for daily walks
* Taking dogs swimming sometimes
* Clearing up parts of land that were razed by the recent forest fires
* Collecting, chopping, and splitting wood
• Tending to and improving the garden: watering, weeding, planting,
• General maintenance of property (strimming, trimming trees, etc)
• Repairs (understanding of hand tools, construction/masonry/carpentry a real asset)
Our Ideal Helper Would Be:
• Able to stay a minimum of 4 weeks. There may be times where we need to go away for a few days, so you need to feel comfortable and confident looking after the animals and garden by yourself occasionally.
• A self-starter - doesn’t need constant direction; can work well on their own and take initiative
• Trustworthy and responsible
• Physically fit and capable of lifting, hauling, and carrying items up and down a steep hill
• Loves animals
• Has a valid driver’s licence
• Speaks French or English (Portuguese is an asset)
• Not travelling with pets (sorry but we have enough on our plate as it is)
• Preferably a non-smoker (smokers MUST put cigarette butts out safely to avoid sparks catching on property. This is non-negotiable)
• Vegetarian is preferable but not a must. If you like to cook, even better!
What You Get:
• Private access to the fully-equipped guest house except when we need to do laundry (this is where the washing machine is located)
* Includes 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, and living room (perfect for couples)
• Free Wi-Fi and cable television
• 2 meals a day (often made with ingredients from our own garden)
• Two days off a week (we’d be happy to direct you to fun river beaches and local tourist attractions)
What Our Property Has to Offer:
• Access to dozens of beautiful, natural and well-maintained river beaches
• Plenty of opportunities to go hiking, camping, and kayaking
• Easy access to services (small supermarket, post-office, pharmacy, bank) just five minutes away
• Young, lively, and hilarious animals to keep you entertained all day long?
• Beautiful countryside
If you’re coming in from Porto or Lisbon, we’d be happy to pick you up from the bus or train station at Vila da Rei, Serta, Tomar, or other areas.
**Please note that the property has undergone a lot of fire damage in the last month although thankfully, the houses were untouched. While there are still some areas of the property that escaped the flames, you will be dealing with a lot of burned trees and scorched earth. But with your help, we can make the land ready for new growth to spring up again!
If you’re interested, or have any questions, we’d love to hear from you!